Friday, October 15, 2010

Module II

One of the most powerful ways in which the integration of diverse worlds can be seen is in the lives of indigenous people taking on the mantle of modern sciences while also embracing their traditional ways” (Module Two) 


Explain:
   Learning, Growing, Reflecting, Adapting—these are four words that I associate with being in Alaska. This week I was able to examine the differences between western perspectives and the native perspectives. The biggest aspect I learned about views was being holistic. Before this module I was partly confused. When I began reading this was a new term. I looked it up on the web and that did not fully explain my questions. I decided to talk to the resources around me in my community and my fellow colleagues. I am now walking away with an understanding that holistic means the connectedness between ourselves, the environment, and spirits.  I thoroughly enjoyed the subsistence video at the end when the gentleman said that everything had a spirit and that spirit was nurturing. It really gave me an understanding that by being here we should appreciate the different views and learn from them. I liked how the teachers were out exploring the resources. I myself have already taken part in some of the cultural traditions here along with been on walks to explore the land.

I also like the Venn diagram that compared Western and Native views. The similarities I noted were that we are both have perseverance and are open-minded. I also found it interesting how things are passed on from generation to generation in the Native perspective. 

Extend:
 I will use this module when thinking about learning from different perspectives. In a place like Alaska where there are so many great things the land has to offer, it is important to realize the connections. Subsistence living and using everything around you is a new concept to me. I am really learning to appreciate the interesting views and connectedness of my village. I feel it is essential to embrace all the new things here. Before I came here I did not necessarily think about all the new experiences that would be placed upon me. It is impossible to be in a place like this without recognizing and honoring the different perspectives.

Evaluate: I plan on introducing my students to both western ideas as well as discussing their native perspectives. Google earth will be interesting to use so we can learn about their land as well as mine. We are all connected to everything around us so I will use this module to work to better understand how I am connected to my current home in Quinhagak, Alaska.

I was also brainstorming things I could do to learn about different views and to educate my students. I came up with having elders come into the classroom to help or do a project. I also thought of ways we could learn about the animals around us and utilize the resources from the river, animals, etc.

 These resources I feel are helping me to learn about my land. Teachers are never done learning, so I am interested in any resources that will assist in that. I really enjoyed watching videos from the natives and the video on Chevak. Chevak is a village so I felt I could connect to the video and understand their way of living and the different things they do to survive. Overall I feel this module helped me to understand how we should embrace both the similarities and differences so we may learn from one another.

3 colleagues blogs:

I visited Alaska Native and Western Views. I liked this blog because she really explains the information presented in the module and it helped me to understand. She is also a veteran teacher, and being a new teacher I felt I could learn new insights.

I also visited Alaska Wisdom.I decided to visit this one because I was interested in the name of the blog. I also felt that I could offer him a good suggestion on how to balance preparing students for tests and incorporating Native perspectives.

The third website I visited Amy's Explore Alaska. I chose to go to comment on hers because we had similar thoughts. 

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post from this week. Your comment about teachers never being done with learning is so true. I also love to see any and all resources that will help me learn about where I am and better understand my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning, growing reflecting and adapting... these are such important words for all of us as educators. Thank you for reminding me that these are an essential part of life!! I really appreciate the effort that you put into struggling with the term holistic. It reminded me the importance of the struggle in our own understanding of words and concepts. If we want our students to wrestle with their own understanding then we must be willing to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia -
    It was great to read your blog and it sounds like you're taking advantage of your experience in the village. It really is great to see how the village folks can live off the land and the kind of knowledge that has been accumulated over generations. If you get the chance to take your students on a day-long field trip into the surrounding wilderness with some elders and parents, I highly recommend it. When I was in Atqasuk, I did this with another teacher and most of the high school. I came back learning more from them than they learned from me, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alicia,
    Like you, I was shocked my first year with the amount of learning I ended up doing - about my community, my students, and about the environment I now found myself in. I loved it. Fortunately my second year has not let me down - the learning continues.

    You mentioned brainstorming ways to learn about different views to help educate your students. I have found that, more important than almost anything else, is connecting what you are teaching to what your students already know. This, I am sure you are well aware of. But I am surprised on a regular basis how often I forget this when I am actually teaching. Take every opportunity you can to gain experiences in your own life that will translate well to experiences in your students lives.

    Eric Explores Alaska

    ReplyDelete